Groovy Death & Dismemberment Table
Groovy Death & Dismemberment Table
This is not a unique or revolutionary idea, but it works really well in my game and I wanted to share the specifics.
Not everyone appreciates the lethal disregard for a PC's well being in classic D&D like we do, but needs to be an ever-present risk of death or at least permanent injury for me to care about a game. If my PC loses his Hit Points I want to be afraid for his life, but I also want a chance for the dramatic scene I see in the movies!
That said, here is my take on the oft-adapted Death & Dismemberment table!
When a Player's Character is reduced to 0 Hit Points or below, they will make a Saving Throw vs. Death. If the roll fails, the PC is dead. If it succeeds, the result is applied to the chart below, the PC gains the stated effect permanently, and is set at 1 HP.
d20 Result Effect
20 Adrenaline surge Regain 1d6 HP
19 Badass scar Looks cool
18 Tooth fairy Lose 1d6 teeth
17 Yarrr!!! Lose an eye
16 Disfigured Lose 1d6 CHR
15 KO Knocked out for 1d6 turns
14 Shattered Held item is broken
13 Sundered Worn armor is broken
12 Hobbled Lose 1d6 DEX
11 Disfingered Lose 1d6 fingers
10 Haunted Lose 1d6 WIS
9 Addled Lose 1d6 INT
8 Heroic demise Deal full HD in damage to nearby enemy, then die
7 Flesh wound Lose a leg
6 Disarmed Lose an arm
5 Battered Lose 1d6 CON
4 Crippled Lose 1d6 STR
3 Divine intervention Full HP, saddled with divine debt
2 Dwarf died again! Die anyway (sorry)
I like the way this plays out in game. It is a single die roll for both the "Do I die?" and "What happened?" questions. I also like that higher level characters (with lower requirements to pass a Save vs. Death) are open to greater injury than lower level characters. If a fresh level 1 fighter were to lose an arm, that might as well be a death, because the player is unlikely to stick with them if a new PC can easily be rolled up. If your 10th level fighter loses an arm, well, they have the means to consider getting back into the dirty work themselves or hire others to do it for them, or (hopefully) retire in luxury.
Oh and that result of 2 is really only available to Dwarves in my game. Only a level 10+ Dwarf will ever pass a Save vs. Death with a 2, in which case, they would die anyway. Maybe rude... but under these rules, a level 10+ Dwarf has only a 15% chance of death after being reduced to 0 HP. Which I think is pretty cool when paired with the 70% chance they have to receive a grievous permanent injury.
Comments
Post a Comment